About the Venue

Picture 9.jpg

Dating from the year 1727, this theatre was initially built with the purpose of being a hospital which operated here until 1892. On July 31, 1897, a serious fire left this building reduced to rubble. In 1924, Comendador José Ribeiro Conceição bought the ruined building at a public auction, for ten thousand and one escudos (forty-nine euros and eighty-eight cents), and transformed it into an important and prestigious performance hall that would be a reference in the cultural life of the interior of the country for several decades.

With pomp and circumstance, the theatre was inaugurated on February 2, 1929, maintaining its cultural activity until 1987, when it was already in an advanced state of degradation. Finally, the City Hall of Lamego decided to go ahead with the acquisition of this eighteenth-century monument and in 1993 works were carried out to renovate and consolidate the building. At the end of 2005, the rehabilitation works are carried out and on February 23rd 2008 the most beautiful show room of the Douro region is reinaugurated: the Ribeiro Conceição Theatre.

Picture 10.jpg